Monday, August 24, 2009

Two Games I'm Looking Forward To

Sorry for not posting, folks. I took up a position writing for MMeOw.net, and that's also been eating up my time along with schoolwork, so I haven't been able to post much. The Barriers to MMO Entry will be continued shortly, but an MMeOw version can be found at this corresponding link.

Anyway, today I wanted to discuss two games that I'm actually looking forward to playing, even if they aren't in the general sphere of games I usually play. They're hybrid games, combining RPG elements and Shooting elements to great, yet different effect.



First up, we have Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition. Now, Ilike the Fallout series of games for their general post-apocalyptic scenario, but also because the original Fallout was the only one I was able to play. Basically, I've been waiting ten years for a shot at another Fallout game, and got hooked, but never finished the story when I first bought it.

Why?

Because there was DLC. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the DLC for the game, so I had to wait for a boxed version to come out. Luckily, this will be a much better purchase than getting each one separately, so I'm excited to see what tweaks have been made to the game since I last played it.

That, and I heard there's Samurai Armor. YAY!



The second game I'm looking forward to is a bit like the first: It's called Borderlands, and unlike Fallout 3, which was an RPG where shooting mechanics were defined by the game's RPG roots, Borderlands appears to be primarily a Shooter where the RPG mechanics determine the damage dealt by the weapon you have equipped and the skills you can use for your particular character.

The first image I had in my head when I heard about it was Diablo + GTA + Guns + Fallout 3 = Borderlands. I wonder how the reality stacks up to it though. I'm optimistic for this one, and would very much like to see the game succeed.

Anyway, enough about me. What games are you looking forward to in the near future?

3 comments:

Longasc said...

I still have Point Lookout and Zeta unplayed on my HD. Can't play LOTRO and Fallout at the same time! :)

Victor Barreiro Jr. said...

OOH! PLay it for a bit and give me some impressions! :D

Alcasm said...

I love the Fallout series and that love has caused me to dislike Fallout 3 after initial positive impressions quite a bit. That being said, I know a lot of people enjoy it and its dlc tends to receive relatively high marks from reviewers. Mothership Zeta doesn't seem to be going over so well though so I would caution you against getting your hopes up for it.

I suppose I'm really looking forward to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, but I want to get it on the PS3 for the Joker challenges and I don't have a PS3 at the moment. That being said, the recently announced Slim PS3 and price drops may well spur me on towards a bit of an extravagant purchase, allowing me to bask in Mark Hamill's insane glory.

Oh, and Borderlands is 100% can't bloody wait!